The Agriturismo “L’Acero Rosso” is situated only one kilometer away from Sacile historical centre.
Sacile is the second town in the province of Pordenone and the sixth one in the region. Its typical historical centre rises on two islands on the Livenza river, where many aristocratic buildings of the Venetian period overlook: it is also known as the “garden of the Serenissima”.


A BRIEF HISTORY
The presence of Roman settlements in the area may prove the discovery of some coins which date back to the Imperial period. Sacile was settled around the seventh century on two islands on the Livenza river as a fortress on the road to Friuli. It is not exactly known whether the islands are natural or man-made: the Cathedral and a castle were built on the larger island, while the port and the commercial area were settled on the smaller one. Sacile became part of the Patriarchal State of Aquileia on its creation in 1077; in 1190 the Patriarch conferred on it city rights and Sacile became the first town in Friuli to have obtained the communal statute. In this period Sacile was besieged by troops from Venice and Treviso. In 1420 Sacile was annexed by the Venetian Republic along with the rest of Friuli; under Venetian rule the river trade expanded and many noble families built palaces on the banks and canals of the Livenza. The fall of the Republic in 1797 caused an economic crisis in Sacile, which lost every control on the neighbouring territories. On 16th April 1809 French troops, allied with the Italian ones, were defeated by the Austrians in the Battle of Sacile, which took place in the nearby hamlet of Camolli. In 1815, under the terms of the Congress of Vienna, Sacile became part of the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia. The coming of the railway in 1855 was fundamental to restore the economic position of the town. In 1866 Sacile was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy and saw the beginning of its industrial activity. The earthquake of 18th October 1936 caused great damage to the town, its building and the ancient city walls. Since the First World War, Italian armed forces had considered Sacile an important military outpost also because of its strategic position on the Venice-Udine railway (a 1916 postcard shows evidence of the “new barracks”). After the conflict, the barrack was named after Scipio Slataper, a Triestine irredentist writer. Since then the barrack has always housed important infantry units. Since 1949 to 1976 it was the base of the “182° Reggimento Fanteria Corazzata Garibaldi” and nowadays it houses the “7° Reggimento Trasmissioni”. During the First and Second World War Sacile was repeatedly bombed because of its strategic position; the signs of bombing are still visible in some parts of the town. Sacile is one of the cities which gained the bronze Campaign Medal in the Liberation War for the sacrifices made by its population and its role in the partisan fighting.

WHAT TO VISIT
• Duomo di San Nicolò. It was built by Beltrame and Vittorino da Como between 1474 and 1496 inS. Nicolò Renaissance style, even though gothic features are also visible, for instance in the bows. After the earthquake of 1976 it was restored following the original pattern.
• Chiesa della Madonna della Pietà (XVII century). This small hexagonal-base church overlooks the Livenza and houses a sandstone statue which represents the Pietà.
• Chiesa di San Gregorio (XVI century). It dates back to the Middle Ages and was the church of the ancient hospital. Now it is a deconsecrated church and a venue for exhibitions and concerts.
• Palazzo Ragazzoni-Flangini-Biglia (XV century). It was the residence of the Venetian family Ragazzoni, lords of the Feud of S. Odorico, who extended the palace. On its walls there is a series of frescoes by Federico Montemezzano which depict the story of the family.
• Piazza del Popolo. It is an irregular-shaped square with colonnaded palaces in typical Veneto style.
• Torrioni di Prà Castelvecchio and largo Salvadorini. They are the ruins of fourteenth-century fortifications.

Every first Sunday after mid-August since 1274 the Sagra dei Osei takes place in Sacile. It is a traditional fair where birds and animals are exhibited and sold. A typical activity is the chioccolo, a competition where the participants imitate bird calls. The festival takes place in spring in a reduced version.

Another typical event is the “Fotomercato sacilese”, an exhibition where people can also exchange books and photographic materials. Its origins date back to the Eighties and nowadays it takes place every third Sunday of April and September; since 2006 it is also held on the third Sunday of December in place of the event “Fotofiera”, which used to take place in San Giovanni di Casarsa.
Since some years the “Giornate del Cinema Muto” (days of silent cinema) take place in Sacile because of the reconstruction of the theatre where they used to be held in Pordenone. At the present day they are organized in both towns.
In December the historical centre of Sacile houses a local street market with wooden small houses, decorated with lights and Christmas ornaments.

Livenza

L'Acero Rosso - Via Dei Masi, 38/A - 33077 Sacile (PN) - Tel. +39 0434 72376 o +39 366 6155798 - e-mail: info@acerorosso.net o agriturismo@acerorosso.net
P.I. 01286640931 - Policy - Privacy - by Explico



Questo sito utilizza cookies per migliorare servizi e informazioni. Continuando la navigazione o cliccando OK si accetta l'utilizzo. Informativa Cookies | OK